Building and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the workplace is essential for successful collaboration among diverse teams. Here are some tips to help foster a collaborative environment for all employees:
1. Identify levels of understanding. It’s important to understand each team member’s unique background and understanding of DEI concepts. Some may have lived experience, others may have done a lot of personal work in this area, and others may not ‘get’ why this matters at all. By learning where different team members are in their DEI journey, you can help create an open dialogue that encourages respect, understanding, and appreciation of diversity within the workplace.
2. Create a safe space to come together. Groups, especially diverse groups, need time to settle into their stride. The Tuckman model of group development breaks down group development into four (sometimes five) phases: forming, storming, norming, and performing (sometimes followed by adjourning). It may take longer for diverse groups to go through each of these phases, but the end result of seeing this process through will be a motivated, competent, and high-performing group of employees.
3. Establish clear DEI-focused goals. Set measurable and specific DEI goals that can be tracked and evaluated over time. Make it clear why you’re setting these goals. This will help teams measure their individual and collective progress toward creating an equitable and inclusive workplace environment for all employees. This goal-setting is most effective when DEI goals are intertwined with employees’ job performance goals, not seen as something separate.
4. Celebrate allyship within the team. Praise team initiatives and collaborative work, such as partnering on a project, engaging in DEI-related discussions with each other, or speaking up and advocating for others.
5. Foster dialogue about differences within the team. Encourage open conversations where everyone feels comfortable sharing their perspectives on DEI topics without fear of judgment or criticism from other team members. By doing so, team members will be able to learn from one another’s experiences and gain a better understanding of how open dialog can benefit the team.
By taking steps to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace, teams will be able to collaborate more effectively and create an environment where everyone feels valued and respected. With these tips, you can ensure that diversity is not just a priority but also a cornerstone of your organization’s success.
Are you looking for ways to promote collaboration with your team?
Learn more about how we can support you!