ANTI-HARASSMENT POLICY FOR SGO SPACES
She+ Geeks Out (aka SGO) abides by a strict no-asshole policy. We’re dedicated to providing a safe, inclusive, and welcoming experience for everyone. We do not tolerate hate or harassment of members of our community in any form.*
She+ Geeks Out spaces are intended to be safe spaces. Members are encouraged to bring up topics of all sorts, including those that might be sensitive or touchy. Due to the nature of our community, the code of conduct applies to all She+ Geeks Out-related spaces, including She+ Geeks Out community events, professional development workshops, happy hours, SGO public and private workshops, trainings, virtual events, and special events. It also applies to our online spaces including but not limited to: MightyNetworks SGO Community, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces and/or general community at the discretion of the SGO team. Some She+ Geeks Out spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for being aware of and abiding by these rules.
If you are being harassed by a member of She+ Geeks Out outside our spaces as outlined above, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by She+ Geeks Out members, especially the SGO team, seriously. The SGO team reserves the right to exclude people from the She+ Geeks Out community based on their past behavior, including behavior that took place outside She+ Geeks Out spaces, and behavior towards people who are not in She+ Geeks Out. At the same time, the SGO team reserves the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be dismissed or deleted without response.
Individuals asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If an incident of harassment is suspected of having taken place, the SGO team may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all She+ Geeks Out spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other She+ Geeks Out members or the general public.
We respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of She+ Geeks Out members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
*We will not tolerate comments, posts, discussions, actions, or words of any kind that promote or support harassment, sexism, racism, ageism, ableism, transphobia, homophobia, biphobia, queerphobia, and the like. Harassment includes:
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, reproductive choice, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- When in-person, physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “*hug*” or “*backrub*”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
- She+ Geeks Out prioritizes safety over comfort. She+ Geeks Out reserves the right not to act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
MIGHTYNETWORKS COMMUNITY RULES
We developed this community to foster a greater connection to those who care about creating and supporting a truly equitable workplace. With this in mind, we encourage you to follow the below, so that we all can have the best experience together, as we learn, grow, and encourage each other!
DO: Share your questions, thoughts, and resources with the community through the topics made available to you. We want this to be a space where we can learn and support each other, not as a community for selling.
DO: Use our anonymous form to reach out to us with questions you have for the community. We want this to be a truly safe space to ask the hard and awkward questions many of us have!
DON’T: Share solicitations or job postings. We want this community to be rich with knowledge, not spam.
DON’T: Spam people through private messaging. Please note that if you do, and we learn about it, you will receive one warning, and a second warning will remove you from the community. If you have received a solicitation, please contact us immediately.
If you are being harassed by a member of She+ Geeks Out, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the She+ Geeks Out team. If the person who is harassing you is on the team, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can.
This anti-harassment policy is based on the example policy from the Geek Feminism wiki, created by the Geek Feminism community.