This workshop is designed for team members of all levels. We review basic concepts and topics of diversity, equity, inclusion, and bias. Attendees will explore how implicit attitudes and socializations impact our decisions and the interactions we have with one another. By the end of this foundational workshop, participants will understand and be able to discuss key concepts, articulate what unconscious bias is, and spot how it manifests at work. Participants will be provided with methods and strategies to help mitigate bias in the workplace and beyond.
- Identify and discuss the foundational concepts of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Explain the concept of unconscious bias and how it manifests in a workplace environment
- Recognize how bias manifests in the workplace
- Apply methods for mitigating bias in the workplace
Microaggressions are everyday verbal and nonverbal slights, snubs, or insults, which can either be intentional or unintentional. These actions communicate negative or hostile messages that are based solely on the recipient's perceived marginalized group membership. In this workshop, we’ll cover what microaggressions are, how they manifest, and how we can respond to them as a recipient, as someone who has committed a microaggression, and as a witness to one.
- Recall what a microaggression is and how it manifests
- Describe how to respond to microaggressions from three different perspectives
In today’s world, it’s not enough to be a bystander– we have to move to learning how to understand and act as an ally. This workshop covers a discussion of how to act as an ally in the workplace. We review best practices, terminology related to power and privilege, and specific allyship tools and skills. The workshop includes interactive discussions on relevant real-life scenarios tailored to you.
- Review terminology related to power and privilege
- Describe allyship frameworks
- Practice responding and applying ally skills through scenario discussions
The workshop will open with a foundational overview of diversity, equity, inclusion, and unconscious bias. We will examine the presence of bias in the workplace and attendees will gain concrete tools and action plans for supporting their teams. Attendees will walk away with a deep understanding of how to personally contribute to creating a supportive and inclusive culture that will improve retention, provide support, and help employees grow professionally.
- Understand how inclusive work culture is created and sustained
- Understand the attributes of belonging
- Know how to support all members of your team
- Plan and measure efforts toward greater team and organizational inclusivity
This three-part introductory workshop examines the root causes of racism and the ways in which it manifests in the workplace and beyond. We will discuss our own personal experiences while thinking of ways to dismantle and unlearn harmful narratives we’ve consciously and unconsciously accepted. By the end of this workshop, participants will be provided with an anti-racist framework on how to begin recognizing and addressing manifestations of racism.
- Review a snapshot of how racism has impacted the lives of various racial groups
- Describe how racism manifests at the ideological, individual, interpersonal, and institutional levels
- Practice engaging in meaningful conversations related to our identity, power, and privilege
- Discuss ways we can begin adopting an anti-racist lens in our personal and professional lives
Geared toward recruiters and hiring managers, this workshop series examines each step in a typical hiring process through the lens of inclusivity. The workshop will open with a review of the foundational concepts of diversity, equity, inclusion, and unconscious bias. We break down the entire life cycle of your specific hiring process through an inclusive and equitable lens. From creating the initial job description to making an offer, participants will explore how bias manifests at each stage, and provide tangible strategies to mitigate it. We will practice with hands-on activities, and wrap up by having each participant develop their own action plan so that they feel empowered to take steps toward change after the workshop.
- Define how unconscious bias manifests during the hiring process
- Analyze job descriptions through an inclusive and equitable lens
- Recognize how to expand your sourcing practices
- Express how to inclusively assess your candidate pool via resume review, interviewing, and negotiating
The workshop explores how bias manifests during resume review and interviewing. Participants will discuss how to apply an inclusive and equitable lens to both of these stages of the hiring process. We will practice with hands-on activities and discussions.
- Discuss how to inclusively assess your candidate pool when reviewing resumes
- Review how to inclusively interview
Attendees will take an in-depth look at a vital part of everyone’s day– meetings– and discuss how to best prepare for, run, and support inclusive work gatherings. We’ll cover how bias shows up in meetings, different ways people communicate, and how to most effectively acknowledge and include everyone, no matter where your team is working from.
- Name ways bias can impact in-person and virtual meetings
- Identify strategies for running meetings with an inclusive lens
- Assess opportunities to give inclusive feedback both written and verbal
Emotional intelligence plays a key part in our social interactions and understanding of each other. This workshop is an introduction to the concept of emotional intelligence and its importance in a workplace setting. The workshop includes a discussion of emotional intelligence, and reviews how emotional intelligence skills can be effective in the workplace.
- Explain the theory of emotional and social intelligence
- Summarize the role of emotional intelligence at work
- Discuss the neuroscience behind emotional reactions
- Name individual personal emotional intelligence profile and competencies
Each workshop is specifically tailored to your individual goals. However, if you don’t see a workshop topic listed here, we routinely create customized workshops on a variety of DEI-related topics and themes. We are happy to have a conversation with you to learn more about your needs.