As of February 6, 2017, She Geeks Out is officially a Certified B Corp! Yay!
Right… so you may be asking what that means. A “Certified B Corp” is a business that’s guided by principles that focus specifically on community and the environment. We are mission-driven and care deeply about creating a better place in the world. We believe that creating a business that focuses on people and planet, not just on profit, is the best way to do this.
If you have a few minutes, you can watch this short video about what a B Corp is right here.
What we’re doing:
- We’re creating community – She Geeks Out is honored to have a growing community of women in STEAM who proudly let their geek flag fly.
- We’re helping companies be better about diversity and inclusion – We’ve developed training on best practices for recruiting and retaining a diverse team. We know it’s good for business, but we also know it’s about being good humans.
- We believe in working out of a space with good humans – We work out of the Impact Hub, a co-working space dedicated to bringing together social enterprises and nonprofits.
- We care about the environment – While we’re pretty lean (there are just two of us!) we’ve put together a list of best practices that we will follow as we grow. We believe it’s important to pay attention to resource use!
- We believe in giving back – We donate to local nonprofits supporting girls access to STEM. In Boston we donate to Science Club for Girls. In New York, we donate to Girls Who Code.
- We are looking to the future – we’re already thinking about how we want to hire and retain, creating an inclusive culture and one that honors everyone we work with.
As we grow, we’ll continue to assess and work hard improve our ability to positively impact the community and the environment. We’re so thankful that there’s a certification body out there that we can work with to help continue to do just that.