With so many competing priorities for organizations, it can be hard to prioritize a problem like climate change that seems so far away. Scientists continue to warn us that the devastating effects of climate change are about to be irreversible, and yet we are not hardwired to make it a priority as we would so many of the other more immediately apparent events. It also feels so big. The truth is, climate change is an intersectional issue, and there are great resources to learn more about climate justice or environmental justice.
A lot of the dialogue about reversing climate change has been misguidedly focused on individual change, when we know that companies have had a much more tremendous impact on making meaningful change (carbon offsets, lessening pollution, etc), than individuals (recycling, stopping the use of plastic straws, etc). How can we encourage them to act responsibly? We have some ideas.
How to Make Changes for Climate Justice
- If you’re in a position of some authority at your company, consider taking the B Impact Assessment to better understand what steps your company can take to reduce harm. Or go one step further, and become B Corp Certified! If you’re unfamiliar with this certification body, their mission is to work with companies to hold them (and us!) accountable for prioritizing people and planet over profit.
- If you don’t have one already, consider forming a group that meets regularly to talk about climate justice issues and learn what your company is doing to fight climate change (or what they’re doing to advance it).
- Consider tying climate justice as a pillar of your DEI initiatives or committee and work to connect the efforts of an ESG or sustainability department to DEI efforts.
- Bring up the issue in all hands meetings, slack groups, or other public forums to hold executives accountable.
- Continue to educate yourself on the issue. There are some incredible resources in addition to the ones shared last year:
- Climate Justice
- Climate Justice – B Lab US & Canada
- B Corp Climate Collective
- Equitable & Just: National Climate Platform
- 9 Actions That Will Help Your Company Support Climate Justice | Embedding Project
- SHE Changes Climate – Official Full Film (2022)
- How Women Can Save The Planet | Hurst Publishers
It’s a lot to fight something that seems so nebulous and large, but corporate action can literally move mountains and as employees, you can leverage your power for good.
Are you ready to find out more about bringing our impactful workshops and facilitators to your workplace? Learn more about our workshops and how we can help your team. To see more videos about DEI in the workplace, follow us on YouTube!